I wanted to provide proof that homeschooling does not have to cost a fortune by sharing the results of our weekly book hunts. Each weekend, we make the rounds to Goodwill and three charity resale shops, which sell books for about $.15-$3.00 each.
Today, for less than the cost of 1 new book, we purchased 10 used books to add to our history, civics, and science collections. We spent a grand total of $7.50:
- Chief Joseph $.59
- Indian Life in Texas $1.99
- Heroes of America: Daniel Boone $.79
- Geography for Christian Schools Map Exercises $1
- A History of the American Revolution (500+ pages) $.49
- Warriors: Navajo Code Talkers $.49
- Everyday Life: The Civil War with cross-curricular activities and pull-out poster map $.49
- Government by the People textbook with practice test book $1
- Advanced Skywatching hardback book $.49
A few trips like this will quickly fill up a bookshelf for not a lot of money and keep your student busy for a while!